I'm Not One To Gossip, But.........

Parliament to try to block Brexit

It All Starts Here… Forums Brexit Parliament to try to block Brexit

This topic contains 24 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by mikers mikers 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    PlumTree
    PlumTree
    Participant

I will be happy when Halloween is over!

mikers
    mikers
    Keymaster

I will be happy when Halloween is over!

I think it might just get pushed forward to Christmas!! Its going to be every major celebration has Brexit hanging over it!

Anyway, now it looks like he’s calling a General Election. its madness.

mikers
    mikers
    Keymaster

Well today’s the start of it all. Hammond to vote against government. enough rebels to beat johnson ? election on the 14th ? what if they dont approve an election ??? no way out!!

Loz1893
    Loz1893
    Participant

Remainers will soon be wishing they voted for Theresa May’s deal. Could soon be facing the prospect of a no-deal Brexit with Boris still PM only with Farage as deputy PM!

mikers
    mikers
    Keymaster

Remainers will soon be wishing they voted for Theresa May’s deal. Could soon be facing the prospect of a no-deal Brexit with Boris still PM only with Farage as deputy PM!

Which is what i said ages ago. careful what you wish for here or you’ll end up with nigel farage as PM or deputy!

mikers
    mikers
    Keymaster

Which is what i said ages ago. careful what you wish for here or you’ll end up with nigel farage as PM or deputy!

I honestly dont know what Cummings has up his sleeve now. They have something – otherwise they wouldnt have just dropped the lords filibustering – but question is what is it ? My money is still that they are going to ignore the legislation with the idea being they are “supporting the will of the people”, knowing that with only 2 weeks to go, even though there is going to be handwaving, it will be so utterly unknown territory, government ignoring judiciary, they will get over the line.

That or he will quit (genuinely) saying he couldnt do his job because of remainer MP’s giving him an Out while in his view having saved face.

The risk here is the next prime minister could be nigel farage if people are not careful.

mikers
    mikers
    Keymaster

So looks like it’s going to happens: he plans to ignore the ruling about no deal and just plough on. This is going to be so interesting!

mikers
    mikers
    Keymaster

The EU Parliament has said it will veto any proposal that does not involve a backstop (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/12/european-parliament-to-criticise-uk-treatment-eu-citizens-veto-brexit-deal). This really means now its no-deal or stay in EU. Because they are saying “has to have a backstop” it kind of makes the time-limited backstop an impossibility because they are in effect saying the backstop has to stay.

So its no deal or stay. I think its stay…

Loz1893
    Loz1893
    Participant

How can the UK stay in though? There’s no majority for either a second referendum or withdrawal in Parliament as things currently stand. A General Election is required in which Boris will likely win (with or without a majority).

Remaining in the EU is unthinkable in my opinion. There’s not only the enormous damage it would do to democracy in the UK. It would be an international humiliation the likes of which have never been seen. Furthermore, the UK’s international standing would be left in tatters. I can’t believe there are politicians (and ex PM’s) that are actively plotting to ensure the UK remains.

mikers
    mikers
    Keymaster

How can the UK stay in though? There’s no majority for either a second referendum or withdrawal in Parliament as things currently stand. A General Election is required in which Boris will likely win (with or without a majority).

Remaining in the EU is unthinkable in my opinion. There’s not only the enormous damage it would do to democracy in the UK. It would be an international humiliation the likes of which have never been seen. Furthermore, the UK’s international standing would be left in tatters. I can’t believe there are politicians (and ex PM’s) that are actively plotting to ensure the UK remains.

I agree they are stuffed either way. However, is the sand moving ? This morning the mail says the DUP may agree to border checks on the Irish Sea (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7458639/DUP-offers-Boris-Johnson-Brexit-lifeline-Party-accept-Ulster-keeping-EU-rules.html) which kind of could unlock the whole thing.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by mikers mikers.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.